Who’s Who: Brian Ballard of Pour Taproom
Who’s Who of Wilmington Today: Meet Brian Ballard, Owner, Pour Taproom
After growing up in the Midwest, Brian Ballard moved around a bit, from Arizona to Florida to New England to Greensboro, North Carolina. His former corporate career ultimately led him to Wilmington seven years ago. When he decided to leave the corporate world to start a business, he wanted to stop moving so much and lay down some roots. Ballard is now the owner of Pour Taproom in Wilmington. “I love living in Wilmington. I love the water, the beach, the history and the community,” he says.
What are three words that describe you?
Hardworking, caring and adventurous.
What do you enjoy most about your job?
At Pour I enjoy creating an environment where people come and feel at home. We have 70 rotating taps and good food for less than $10. People can come enjoy board games and sports on large-screen TVs or just spend time with family and friends.
What is the most difficult part of your job?
Having a work/life balance.
What has working at Pour Taproom done for you?
It has given me a sense of community. After working for a large corporation for so many years, it is nice to open a local business and be part of the community in which I live. I am also happy that I am able to use my space to do fundraisers, which gives me the ability to give back to the community.
Do you have any goals for the company and what will you do to achieve them?
I will be expanding an area upstairs into a game room with pool tables, dart boards and shuffleboard.
- What is your favorite movie? Shawshank Redemption
- What is your most embarrassing moment? It’s too embarrassing to say.
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be and why? The ability to cure pain, suffering, sickness and diseases.
- What is your favorite song? Beach in Hawaii by Ziggy Marley
- Do you have any pet peeves? Although it’s rare — people who leave negative reviews on social media instead of addressing concerns in person before leaving.
- What’s your favorite quote or mantra? Live and make a difference today as tomorrow may never come.
What do you want people to know about your business?
Pour Taproom is a downtown Wilmington watering hole where you pay by the ounce. You can try a few ounces, then switch it up if want a different sip. No regrets, no risk, just a new way to enjoy a variety of beer and wine while supporting local and regional innovative craft brewing. It’s a win-win.
201 N. Front Street, Wilmington; (910) 769-1980; pourtaproom.com