See the list of winners from the 10th Annual Taste of Wrightsville Beach, which was held on November 4.
The 10th Annual Taste of Wrightsville Beach held on November 4 and benefiting Weekend Meals on Wheels, was a huge success. The Weekend Meals on Wheels board thanks title sponsor Coastal Kia, lounge sponsor MegaCorp Logistics, band sponsor Hagood Homes, boat sponsor MarineMax and many other very generous sponsors, celebrity judges, bands, raffle donors, vendors and volunteers for contributing to the event’s success.
The Taste of Wrightsville Beach was started 11 years ago as an idea to celebrate the delicious and diverse culinary offerings on the island. It also serves as a reminder that the restaurants need support during the winter months when the tourists are gone. That first event was to be held outdoors, a plan changed by Super Storm Sandy to move indoors at the Blockade Runner in the 11th hour. The event has outgrown all the venues, weathered hurricanes, nor’easters, date changes and a pandemic. The loyal sponsors, vendors and patrons assure the success of the Weekend Meals on Wheels’ only fundraiser.
Among the food vendors, the competition was stiff and the food, beer, wine and spirits were outstanding. Winners were announced in the following categories:
Celebrity Judges’ Awards
1. Winner Overall Best Savory – BLOCKADE RUNNER EAST: GRILLED CRAB AND OYSTER STEW WITH FLOUNDER BACCALA, STICKY RICE, LEMON-FRESNO SAUCE, PURPLE CABBAGE OIL AND SOFITO
2. Runner-up Overall Best Savory – GREEN HOUSE: SMOKED LION’S MANE WITH POTATO TERRINE AND LOMO JUS
3. Winner Overall Best Sweet – WATERMAN’S BREWING: APPLE TARLET WITH BRIE, BACON, BUTTERSCOTCH AND BOURBON CARMEL SAUCE.
4. Runner-up Overall Best Sweet – DRIFT: A FLUFFY BUTTERMILK PANCAKE WITH A SMOKED MAPLE BISCOFF PANCAKE, HOUSE MADE STRAWBERRY JAM AND HONEY COMB CANDY
5. Winner Best Tasting Savory – POE’S: PIMENTO CHEESE SLIDERS WITH OUR BBQ SAUCE AND ROASTED GARLIC BLEU CHEESE SLIDERS TOPPED WITH GRILLED SHRIMP
6. Winner Best Tasting Sweet – DRIFT: A FLUFFY BUTTERMILK PANCAKE WITH A SMOKED MAPLE BISCOFF PANCAKE, HOUSE MADE STRAWBERRY JAM AND HONEY COMB CANDY
7. Winner Best Presentation Savory – OCEANIC: SEARED SEA SCALLOPS WITH PUMPKIN GRIT CAKE, ROASTED CHILI CREAM AND TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS
8. Winner Best Presentation Sweet – DRIFT: A FLUFFY BUTTERMILK PANCAKE WITH A SMOKED MAPLE BISCOFF PANCAKE, HOUSE MADE STRAWBERRY JAM AND HONEY COMB CANDY
9. Winner Most Creative Savory – KING NEPTUNE: TUNA POKE “TACO”- SUSHI GRADE YELLOWFIN TUNA WITH PONZU, SESAME, CUCUMBER, AVOCADO-WASABI MOUSSE AND SPICY CHILI SAUCE.
10. Winner Most Creative Sweet – WATERMAN’S BREWING: APPLE TARLET WITH BRIE, BACON, BUTTERSCOTCH AND BOURBON CARMEL SAUCE.
Peoples’ Choice Awards
People’s Choice Savory – KING NEPTUNE: TUNA POKE “TACO”- SUSHI GRADE YELLOWFIN TUNA WITH PONZU, SESAME, CUCUMBER, AVOCADO-WASABI MOUSSE AND SPICY CHILI SAUCE.
People’s Choice Sweet – NOTHING BUNDT CAKE: DELICIOUS BITES OF CARROT CAKE CROWNED WITH OUR SIGNATURE BUTTER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
People’s Choice Beer – WATERMAN’S BREWING
People’s Choice Wine – WINDHAM DISTRIBUTING
People’s Choice Spirit – MELLOW MUSHROOM
Weekend Meals on Wheels of Wilmington is a faith-based 501(c)3 organization that provides nutritious meals and social contact to seniors on weekends and other days not covered by the weekday Home Delivered Meals program in New Hanover County.