Our Favorite Outdoor Activities in Wilmington in Summer
It’s time to get outside and enjoy the summer weather! Wilmington, NC is packed with outdoor activities in summer, so get your shorts on and join in the fun. Here are just a few outdoor activities to try in Wilmington this summer.
Play golf in Wilmington this summer
The trick to summer golf on balmy Wilmington days is early tee times—you’ll miss the midday sun and the afternoon chance of thundershowers. These area golf courses welcome summer players:
- Castle Bay: This Scottish-links style golf course in Hampstead offers lessons, a pro shop, and a restaurant for sandwiches and cold beverages. The scenic par-72 course opened in 1999. View Website
- Cape Fear National: Enjoy 18 holes of premium public golf in Brunswick Forest in Leland. There are special rates for locals and a clubhouse for dining. View Website
- North Shore Country Club: Nestled along the Intracoastal Waterway in Sneads Ferry, this golf course offers plenty of natural beauty and challenging play. View Website
- Beau Rivage: This championship golf course amid long-needle pines incorporates wooded hills, rolling dunes, undulating valleys, and water features. View Website
- Olde Point: The golf course is framed by lush foliage, ponds, and water hazards. With five sets of tees available, it’s fun for golfers of every skill level. View Website
Catch a big one on a fishing charter
Getting out on the water is a time-honored way to beat the heat in a Wilmington summer! Try your hand at landing a big fish with one of these area fishing charters:
- Island Tackle Charters: This Carolina Beach charter company would love to take you fishing! The Tackle Shop has all the gear you need, too. Learn More
- Vonda Kay: Ride out on the Vonda Kay from Wrightsville Beach Charter Fishing to enjoy the best part of a Wilmington summer: the water. Learn More
- Queen Jean: Get 10-20 miles off Topsail Island looking for snapper, grouper, mahi mahi, and more. There’s a kids’ fishing tour, too. Learn More
Catch the wind for a fresh Wilmington summer breeze
If yachting is more your style, you can’t choose a better time than summer to get out on the water. Rent a yacht or sailboat from these Wilmington-area boating companies:
- Sanjema II: Take a small group on a luxurious tour on the Cape Fear River to downtown Wilmington, NC, the upper Cape Fear and Northeast Cape Fear Rivers, Southport, or Bald Head Island. Learn More
- Wrightsville Performance Sailing: These 2-hour cruises, 3-hour charters, and private lessons on a stable, responsive sailboat are a fun way to get out on the water. Learn More
It’s a perfect time for dining al fresco
After your day of summer activities, enjoy the summer breeze and skip the deep freeze of air conditioning by dining outside at Wilmington area restaurants.
Entertain the Kids
From museums to camps, you can plan your summer fun with the kid-os this year by visiting our list of fun activities in the Wilmington area for kids.