Burgwin-Wright House and Gardens
Within Wilmington’s large historic district, only a few homes remain from colonial days, and the Burgwin-Wright House is one of them. the Burgwin-Wright House is the oldest restored museum house in southeastern North Carolina which was built in 1770. John Burgwin, a merchant, planter and treasurer of the colony of Carolina, erected the house on the foundation of an old jail. Temporarily occupied by Lord Cornwallis before his fateful departure for Yorktown, this splendid Georgian style house contains authentic furnishings and is surrounded by seven beautifully terraced gardens.
The house is filled with antiques and rare objects that tell the story of what life was like in a Wilmington of long ago. And a huge enchanting garden includes fruit trees, a kitchen garden, a rose garden, terraces, medicinal herbs, and more. There’s even a kitchen house filled with the latest cooking technology of the day. Demonstrations of colonial open hearth cooking are presented in the kitchen one Saturday per month.
Guided tours of the Burgwin-Wright House are scheduled each hour from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through
Saturdays (the last tour of the day is at 3 p.m.). Self-guided tours of the gardens are free; stop into the gift shop for a brochure. Group tours are available, and educational programs and community events are frequently scheduled. Burgwin-Wright House is also available to rent for your own special occasion.
Stop into the gift shop for books on local and Colonial history, arts and crafts, toys, locally crafted food items, post cards, and much more.
For more information about Burgwin-Wright House or to book a group tour, call (910) 762-0570 or email email@example.com.
224 Market Street